Effects Real Skies

Dimitris S

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Gaz62,

This is an interesting proposal.

Real Skies are really robust assets in terms of size.

This is something we have had a look at in the past. Although theoretically, it would be possible, this implies that each Real Sky we add to Lumion must have at least 1 image for each degree of its position on the skydome. As you are very well aware, Lumion is already a fairly large application and, realistically speaking, those skies would add more than a fair amount in terms of size to the software installation files.

You are welcome to make a suggestion using our Feedback form found at this link: Lumion Community Feedback. This way you make sure that your ideas and suggestion reach the right people.

Thanks in advance.

Gaz62

Hello Gaz62,

This is an interesting proposal.

Real Skies are really robust assets in terms of size.

This is something we have had a look at in the past. Although theoretically, it would be possible, this implies that each Real Sky we add to Lumion must have at least 1 image for each degree of its position on the skydome. As you are very well aware, Lumion is already a fairly large application and, realistically speaking, those skies would add more than a fair amount in terms of size to the software installation files.

You are welcome to make a suggestion using our Feedback form found at this link: Lumion Community Feedback. This way you make sure that your ideas and suggestion reach the right people.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks for the reply

Aris

One trick I used once is to position a big 'backplate' surface behind my model and apply a sky timelapse video I found on the internet.
I had to make the material slightly emissive with zero reflection and gloss and also animate the 'sun' effect so that it matched the lighting in the video.

The results were good, but the downside is that you cannot change the camera position.

also, I tried doing the same thing with a dome (apply a video as a texture with spherical projection) but it didn't work well because the dome had to be kilometers wide and also received shadows. I only used an image as an initial stage in the experiment but I also believe that the 50MB restriction in video textures wouldn't allow for a detailed animated sky...

here it is, -without the model-

Attachments

Last edited: